Monday, April 9, 2018

I'm Going To The West Coast!


Me bags are packed and I'm going to the west coast to do some sight seeing, drop in on a group art show I'm part of (see previous post) and visit some friends and family. As I will be living out of my suitcase for the next 3 weeks dropping in on LA, San Francisco and Vancouver, I'm going to have to push pause on my giant raccoon painting for now (depicted below). He just won't fit. Instead I've brainstormed some travel size ideas (see above) and my paints are packed. 

When packing paints I recommend cleaning off the paint jar lids so you can ensure a tight seal and double bag as necessary. I also tend to pack a thicker paint preferring to thin them out with water out on the road. Definitely you want to pack all 3 primaries: primary magenta, cyan blue and primary yellow. Along with a black, a white and a medium. If you have have room I also recommend bringing a good medium brown as a short cut. Here I've also added some gold, champagne and some pre mixed colours I already had kicking around I know I definitely want to use. Because I have my ideas sorted out in my head already, I also know I'm going to need some extra blue and white. I don't pack a water bucket preferring to save on space. Instead, I double plastic bag a cup I can find while I'm out and use that for wetting paint brushes. I also pack a variety of paint brushes (different in size and shape of tips), 2 palette knives, scissors, tape and some precut rags. Drawing supplies: mechanical pencils (no sharpeners needed), eraser, tracing paper and canvas, I pack in my carry on in case I get bored at the airport. Wireless headphones and a wrist brace for carpal tunnel are also depicted.


On an unrelated note, I sold a few more Flamingos In The Bathroom hand towels recently off my Society6 page:



https://society6.com/product/flamingos-in-the-bathroom_print?sku=s6-6033372p4a1v45

People love having flamingos in their bathroom. They are steadily proliferating in bathrooms everywhere and it's all my fault. Could this be my pension painting? Why are people so consistently drawn to bathroom accessories with flamingos on them? It's peculiar and kinda funny. It makes me happy though, knowing I'm brightening up bathrooms everywhere. Which reminds me, I still have to pack my toothbrush. Wish me luck and thanks for reading!

No comments: