Tuesday, April 10, 2018

"California, Let's Have A Party"


After the 5 hour plane ride from Toronto, we arrived! LA from the air:


LA is 3 hours behind Toronto so when we finally got to our rooms it was 2 am Toronto time, 11pm LA time and exhausted, we just went to bed. Not super exciting.

This morning we got up with the sun and did all the important things first like get groceries and stop into the local marijuana dispensary. I'm in Westwood, Santa Monica, beautiful area right by the UCLA medical campus. Lot of health professionals walking around here, some look cheerful, others look awful tired. Regardless, everyone's been really friendly. The grocery stores here are large and organic food is EVERYWHERE, at comparable prices too! They didn't have regular garlic in stock however, so we ended up trying out this black garlic. This was a new food for us. It was softer than regular garlic with a browner exterior. Inside it looked like outer space. Taste was good! A very slight touch of sweet but in a good garlicky and savoury way.


The streets are clean and the fauna is flourishing here with a very sweet, flowery summer scent in the air. This made our 5 minute walk to the local dispensary that much more enjoyable. Not every dispensary has a license for recreational marijuana so just call around, guy on the phone directed me to weed maps. I love my new vape pen. It's got cartoon writing, passion fruit flavouring and lights up when you pull. It doesn't require any extra batteries and looks as harmless as a lip balm. The only drawback was that it was not refillable but I'm going to have to get rid of it anyway. Border laws fall under Federal Jurisdiction so you can't leave the state with it, even if it's to go to another state where it's legal. Kinda silly, but whatever. 



Next stop the Getty Museum! Located at the top of a hilly mountain we took the tram up. It was like Jurassic Park without the fear. Architecture alone was worth it on top of faaaanntastic views, a brunch station at every level and 4+ pavilions of some of the creme de la creme art from every important era. A must see for every avid time traveller. My favourite was a visiting exhibit of Japanese ornate metal boxes, once belonging to Marie Antionette. Shown for the first time publicly, they were spot lighted under dim lighting in dark rooms (so as to not cause light damage). 

Looking at their painting collection I got in trouble for looking at them too close, I do that a lot : ( I also stumbled upon the surprise delight of a Rene Magritte sculpture (depicted below). He is most likely my all time favourite artist.


Below is an Italian sculptor from the 1950s. I am blanking on the name but I think it's quirky and playful in content and serious in material, I am a fan:


The mix of old stone wall with modern flat tile is interesting. The monotonous colour palette really brings it together into a cohesive whole. I love the use of blue sky space and the built in gardens of colourful flowers, succulents and cacti.


These plants had giant midnight blue bees buzzing around them. We tried taking pictures but the darn things wouldn't stay still and it got scary. Very pretty though.


Loved being able to walk around the living sculpture and seeing it from different angles. A few waterfalls were included (not depicted).


Finally, just 1 of several great views at the Getty Museum. Lunch was quality at about $15 a pop, the air-conditioned tram was free and none of the the exhibits charged anything. We paid $15 for parking and that was about it. A pretty stress free, very enjoyable and inspiring time.


Anyhoo, I'm back in my room now at my new temporary studio art residency. Here I am starting a new drawing for a new painting. I'm in California, so I'm thinking a brown bear on some sort of vacation.. More on that later.




No comments: