Sunday, October 7, 2018

Painter's Log 10/07/2018


Major break throughs today. This could be my most ambitious painting yet, it certainly feels that way but I guess every painting feels that way when you're always trying something new. Anyway I don't have much experience painting white fur, and having never taken any official painting classes, I was pretty much left in the dark on this one. To remedy the problem, I watched some videos online and looked at the work of some of my favourite painters and pretty much painted and repainted and mixed and matched techniques to the level I wanted them at. Finally, I don't think I've ever painted this many flowers on 1 painting before, and only to change my mind on the base colour half way through. Of course there were times I felt like giving up and throwing the whole thing out but soldiered on hope like I always do, and it came together today, as I was painting the shadows in. I love painting shadows, it's the true and final test to see if everything is going to gel together, and it did! The feeling of despair that comes with challenging oneself seems to have dissipated for now and succumbed to personal feelings of accomplishment and pride! Which is what you want really, in any painting. I still got some ways to go to get it to the level I want it at, the way I see it in my head, which is looking a lot like Robert Bateman on mushrooms, quite frankly.

No comments: