Saturday, February 17, 2018

Bark bark bark in the New Year!


Hope everyone's having a good start to the new lunar year. Does anyone know of any crazy Chinese New Year superstitions? My grandma Po Po (see painting The Afterlife) used to say washing on this day washes your luck away so come Chinese New Years you do all your cleaning before it starts and on this day you don't shower, don't wash your hair and don't clean the house or you'll clean all your luck out!


Oriental Ave. acrylic and ink on canvas 12 x 9 x 1.5 inches 2012 In private collection.

Today I spent about 4 hours painting. I muted the colours in the ceiling of the giant goose painting I'm currently working on (see posts previous). I'm happy with my colour decisions, more grown up, making more use of the colour spectrum, despite the time consuming aspects of frequent colour changes. Some people sketch when they draw, like making a bunch of lines before choosing the right one. I do that with picking colours, like I have a pretty good idea in my head what colours I want but I won't really know until I mix a bunch, see how they relate to one another before picking the right ones.

Depicted here are 2 paintings I did in 2012, you can tell because they have the black outlines. They're from my brief Monopoly property series. Was it 1 lady who bought all the light blue ones? did she get the Monopoly? Although every now and then this other lady shows up to ask if by any chance is Oriental Ave. back on the market? Her regret she didn't purchase it sooner. I also think about her every time I think about this painting come Chinese New Years, I hope she is doing better. My takeaway from this is this: if you see something you like, get it now and and get it fast! You don't want to be one these half sad people who show up to my art shows, like a recurring dream of regret, I don't like it either and it's a dog eat dog world out there.


Connecticut Ave. acrylic on canvas 12 x 0 x 1.5 inches. 2012 In private collection.


No comments: