Wednesday, May 13, 2020

Peacock Descending A Staircase



Peacock Descending A Staircase acrylic on canvas 48 x 48 x 1.5 inches 2020 $6000

     I finished my peacock painting! It took a good 3 to 4 months. Here is my little write up off my available for purchase pages: 

     Like Picasso's Nude Descending A Staircase, but way more flattering, this peacock's showing off his fancy tail in cocky fashion. A stand out animal, this bird knows exactly how to remain most colourful in a room. Speckled with hidden lizards to snack on, this painting's patterned with his own feathers, an ode to his vanity but in all his fabulousness, this bird's got something to brag about. You'd be lucky to get to go home to him! Part of a series of 10 giant animals adapting to different rooms that together comprise my own personal dream home. All paintings are one of a kind originals and with all four sides delicately painted, they do not require a frame. Complete with hanging wire, it is ready for you enjoyment. 

     Available for purchase here or inquire within: https://www.saatchiart.com/art/Painting-Peacock-Descending-A-Staircase/672002/7628191/view

     More personally, why did I want to do a peacock? My brother asked me! and he's always been such a big supporter of my work. He's also one of many people close to me who consistently lecture me on how I need to promote myself more which I found suiting, because peacocks are a little vain, and attention seeking, especially when they shake out their big fancy tails to intimidate their enemies, or when they're attracting a mate. There's something about the "look at me, look at me" aspect of the cocky peacock I could probably learn from.

     Originally, I had planned to have the peacock standing out from a yellow background but when I was playing around with peacock feather pattern in the background I discovered black and white made my peacock stand out better, which is exactly what peacocks like to do. I thought it not only looked visually appealing but exemplified his personality too!




     Most people don't realize peacocks have a mid section that is brown and white similar to a Canadian Goose (see older post on The Big Goose), I didn't know either until I started studying pictures of peacocks as reference photos. The cascading tail was the trickiest part, first painting in the pattern and then making it look light and fluffy. Basically you start with thicker brushes in darker greens then highlight using thinner brushes and lighter greens.

     I like to add hidden hearts to my paintings and this was no different, early on I knew I wanted to hide it in his tail.


     Pretty darn happy about the shadows and marble tiling.




     Peacocks are vain so I added a portrait of himself. At first I painted it in colour but then thought it took away from the colourful peacock so I changed him to black and white and couldn't be happier. I like how it both blends in and stands out, something about black and white that makes everything look punchy. 

     Peacocks also eat lizards and flowers so I included a few. I love painting camouflage lizards! 


     Another hidden lizard and picture on the wall of a landscape.



     The painting in my bedroom so you can see its massive scale! 


     Signing and dating my paintings in the bottom right corner there and showing you their painted sides.



No comments: