Wednesday, July 18, 2018

The Frilled Lizard Has Arrived!


Process shots showing some of the steps it took. I'm wearing my wrist brace because of carpal tunnel.  


Getting the drawing contours in first with a tiny brush then filling in the big areas with a larger brush. 


Busting out the teeny tinies. I took good care of my brushes this time around and 1 teeny tiny did the trick.


Using a flyer as a palette surface. Note all the different yellows, some warmer than others, some darker than others. I love painting shadows, they sure give a thing depth.


Some final colours, fine-tuning the colour decisions. I'm largely working within a tight spectrum of charcoal grey so I have to add the variations carefully. Everything's relative though so it's really about stepping back and taking a look at the bigger picture before finalizing my choices.


I added just a bit of pink to this painting, I couldn't help myself.


Mapping out the grid to get the pattern right.


 I love patterns because they give the vision field rhythm.


Mixing a bunch of different blacks, guess it's hard to tell here but some have a smudge of blue, others red and others slightly grey. 


Last minute just decided it needed something in the corner here.


I'll photograph it tomorrow if the lighting is right. That's my journey although I've already begun the schematics for the next painting already so you're just a couple hours behind. Thanks for keeping up 😊






No comments: