Monday, September 11, 2017

Leaky Pipes


Been tied to the studio apartment the last few days. There was a leak under my bathroom sink, my husband and I had to empty this small jar (the only jar that would fit) of water every few hours : ( Thankfully the plumber came by and the leaky ordeal's over but some major renovations need to take place in here. Contractors, electricians and plumbers are hard to come by in the city, all are very busy and I'm lucky to get on anyone's wait list, which makes me think these are all great professions to get into. I very briefly considered being a plumber prior to a nurse to support myself, seems like a good job with a lot of autonomy. 

Anyway, above is my bathroom sink. On the left is the reference photo I used to make my painting on the right:

X SECTION OF MY BATHROOM SINK
acrylic and ink on canvas
18 x 24 x 1.5 inches
2009
In private collection.

I did this painting several years ago, just when I was learning to experiment with paint, colour, symbolism and pattern. This is the first time I tried painting marble pattern (of the bathroom counter). The bathroom decor itself is from the 70s and it's fake marble painted on plastic. This painting still contains the ink line work which I no longer use in my current painting, neat to see how far I've come and developed as a painter. I never met nor received the buyer's contact so I have no idea where this painting ended up but it's an imaginary take on what might be in there. Sometimes I like to wonder about all the interesting items people accidentally drop down their bathroom sink, mine probably just contains hair, goo and maybe some paint chips though.

No comments: