Saturday, June 6, 2020

FAQs What Are the Best Conditions for Art Making?



Anytime is a good time for art making! but I like the early mornings best. Sunrise to 11am offers the best daylight, I can see the full spectrum then before the sun gets warmer in colour around midday. I also like the peace and quiet of this time as the rest of the world is just getting up and or heading to work, I feel so free and lucky basking in the colours with little distraction. If I'm working in the daytime however, I'll paint in the evening under lamplight. Sometimes I'll save the trickiest colour parts for daytime painting and paint the more easier to see stuff at night. To maximize my attention span I usually paint no more than 1 to 2 to at most 3 hours at a time, roughly taking a 10 minute break between 50 minute sessions. I usually start by painting to music because I love music and art is a great excuse to listen to lots of it but when the day gets lonely I'll toss on a show or a podcast. I like funny clever things so usually an hour long set from a favourite stand up comedian or a tv show with characters I like hanging out with.

I keep my studio space in my living room, I like being able to work on it every spare moment I get. I like the instant access when I get up in the morning after brushing my teeth to being able to tinker on it when I'm waiting for something to bake in the oven. My apartment is tiny but I have adapted. If I'm not eating over the kitchen sink while reflecting on my current progress, I'm eating at the tv dinner table where I keep my paints on.

Body mechanics are important which took me the first few years to learn. I spend so much time here I had to learn to sit straight to avoid back aches and neck cramps. Here I have a small foot stool I'll sit on to work at the bottom of a painting and an ergonomic computer chair that raises and lowers depending on what height I want to be working at. I can stand on the foot stool too to work on the top but often I will just flip my painting upside down and work on it while sitting. 


Sustainability was a thing so keeping production costs low was important. I used to buy palette paper but now I just use the free pizza, restaurant, condo, dentist, etc. flyers I get for free in my mailbox. I cut old clothes to use for rags for wiping down my palette knives and brushes which cuts down on the amount of paint that gets washed down the drains. I struggled with carpal tunnel a lot in my early years but now I have it fairly under control. I paint with a brace, ALWAYS. and do regular stretches and massages when I feel it creeping up again. I've been painting everyday since 2007.
























No comments: