Thursday, June 7, 2012

10 new things 2012

Once a year, on my Birthday.
I can live with this.
Thanks for a fruitful 27 years everyone.
Today I turn 28, I am now older than Basquiat got to be.

1. It's about doing the right thing, at the right time, in the right moment.

2. Artists are invisible thieves. You think we would be original, but we are largely not. We just know how unoriginal we are so we steal as much as possible. The most unheard of places for stealing often offer the greatest material. The more learned of us just know better where we got our sources from.

3. I have an eternity to be famous. What is extremely finite is my time here on earth to complete all the projects, activities, events, and happenings I can only begin to hope to.

4. I don't know if it is artists who aren't seen as responsible, accountable, and organized individuals, or if it is nurses who aren't seen as creative, original, and talented individuals, but everyday I am faced with this certain, yet subtle adversity. On the flip side, one could argue Keith Haring and General Idea were community health nurses for their work in raising awareness and funds for HIV/AIDS, Van Gogh tried to help people, and it was Nurse Anita Dorr who invented the crash cart in the 1960s. QOL = Quality Of Life


5. Jars! Saves time, money, and paint. Not sure how I didn't think of that sooner.

6. There are no such things as stupid questions. There are only those who know the answers, and those who don't.

7. People think I'm curt, but I think I'm to the point.

8. Art is the things that people make.
    Culture is the kind of life that revolves around the things that people make.
    To make art is to make a kind of life.

9. "You know the people at the top of the charts are never the best." -Huey Lewis's father.

10. People seem to think the world could benefit if I was more assertive and spoke up more. 


Here's some stuff that got made in my honour:


A mix by GNat:
http://soundcloud.com/gnat/siu-liy
(Siu Liy is my Chinese name.)

A wrong handed, pens only, depiction of me and stuff by the SADC:


A Birthday portrait by my cousin. This one really made my day:





No comments: