Thursday, May 16, 2019

Tiger Queen Garners A Following (I Sold Another Print)!


Tiger Queen acrylic on canvas 36 x 48 x 1.5 inches 2017

I sold a print of my painting here of my Tiger Mom as a Tiger Queen, a little more flattering picture than the one posted previous. The original is NOT AVAILABLE, my family made sure of it. It was on the market for about a month until my brother and sister in law demanded they buy it for my parents, dad really likes it and he is not easy to please. Currently, it hangs in my childhood home, in the dreaded "piano room." Anyway you can find prints of it on my 

Society6 page, LISA NG ART or search for "Tiger Queen" Link posted here: https://society6.com/product/tiger-queen988459_print?sku=s6-8417859p4a1v46

Sales for this print are slowly picking up from this page in the last year and a bit. This website's not bad although the profit margins for the artist could be better but it is quite hassle free. Regardless, it's nice to know she is mysteriously ruling somewhere. Unfortunately, the site doesn't tell me where in the world the prints end up, although the website is based in the UK. I just have to imagine she's slowly popping up around the globe, sitting in her throne, in households scattered about. Who are her followers and what are they like?!?? I wonder. Details of the painting below. Everybody wants to know, "What's the story?" behind a painting and I never like to spill my guts but I'll try to hint and elaborate a little below.


I have her in an old fashioned, Chinese dynasty crown-hat, forgive me I can't pin point the era off the top of my head (haha). I remember the look of these from watching old timer Chinese dramas with my late grandma who raised me, (see painting, "The After Life.")


I'm most proud about the all the layered patterns and gradients on her throne and on her robe, the details took a long time and I mixed all the colours by hand. The sleeves have dragons on them, I've always loved drawing dragons. I used to rummage through my brother's Dungeons and Dragons game cards, but only the ones of all the different dragons. Somewhere in a drawer somewhere or maybe under a bed in my parent's house is a pile of dragon drawings.


Fancy strange nail accessories. I did not make these up but referenced her costume from other photos. They remind me of Bugles, "America's favourite finger food!" Below is the dreaded metronome that sits atop a cubical sky, symbolizing my freedom. I was never great at piano although I love music, I could never keep good time! Bottom right of the throne is my signature in Chinese. "Mmm Sui Lai" Which translates into Ng (my last name) and Little Beauty, which was a name I wasn't sure I'm suited for but the things I paint are beautiful!


Below is a snake cleverly hidden and disguised as a bowl holding oranges. Oranges are a symbol of prosperity in Chinese culture and my mom's a snake in the Chinese zodiac. I'm a mouse though so you can see how we can be at odds with one another.


Sharp, well manicured toe nails that dig at your feelings make this painting complete. Took me awhile to get the golden sandals just right.




No comments: