Thursday, May 2, 2019

Pyjama Paint Daze



Spent the last 3 glorious days painting in my pyjamas, life has been kind. Here is my progress to date. The first coats of the background are in. A swimming pool but can you guess the animal and what it's doing yet?


This is me painting with the flat brush, filling in those large surface areas.


Me taking a dive in the deep end, I love how pools of water have all the different shades of blue. This is just the very beginning. What I'm most excited about is the watery shadows water makes, but I still got a long way to go before I can paint those in.

On a side note, now that I'm working with a lot with the colour blue, I've been randomly thinking a lot about Harmoniums. People seem to always want to know what I'm thinking about when I paint, what I get inspired from, and to be honest, it's hard to pin point and kinda random. A conglomerate of experiences both past and present. Today it was Harmoniums, because they are blue in colour and 2 dimensional, like a painting, and they feed on music. I'm always listening to music and consider myself a bit of a Harmonium. 

In case you don't know, Harmoniums are 2 dimensional blue creatures from the late great American science fiction writer, Kurt Vonnegut from his hit book, "The Sirens of Titan." They have no organs, no face, no eyes, no ears nor mouth and feed off the vibrations of their planet called, "Mercury's Song." They communicate with touch and telepathy and reproduce by flaking off bits of themselves that turn into adult beings. Communication is limited and they only know 2 phrases being, "Here I am." And the automatic response to that which is, "So glad you are." When they die they shrivel up like dried fruit. I'm paraphrasing here from this website: https://aliens.fandom.com/wiki/Harmonium

How wonderful though if you were feeling alive, but alone, you only need to go, "Here I am!" and if there were another Harmonium in the room, it would be automatically reciprocated with a, "So glad you are." How lovely (beautifully exquisite) an existence that must be. 

So today I got my headphones in and my music playing and with my shades of blue I'm sending out my, "Here I am!" and await for that reciprocal response.

No comments: